This is an honorary, unpaid position for a term of up to three years, renewable.
“Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.”
— Robert Frost
Brookfield Poet Laureate Proposal:
The Board of Selectman shall appoint a Poet Laureate for Brookfield, selected by the Brookfield Poet Laureate Selection Panel, to promote an appreciation for poetry for the “solace, enjoyment and delight” of residents of Brookfield, Connecticut.
“A Poet Laureate is a person who is recognized for his or her long-standing involvement in poetry. This person demonstrates passion and expertise in the field and works to promote poetry in the general culture.” (Connecticut Coalition of Poets Laureate)
- Be 18 years old or older
- Have a strong desire to actively engage people of all ages in the community through poetry
- Be a resident of Brookfield and live in Brookfield (or close to) during entire term
- Three-year term with possibility of extension
- Have some history of advocacy for poetry
- Be experienced in the field of poetry and able to fulfill the required duties of the position
- Organize and/or take part in poetry readings/workshops open to the public
- Foster public appreciation and participation in poetry and literary arts activities in Brookfield
- This (unpaid) position will also serve to promote ideas of compassion and inclusion
- Fulfill one special project during the 3-year tenure
- Be part of the CT Coalition of Poets Laureate as Brookfield’s official representative
- Serve as a mentor to at least one aspiring local Brookfield student, between ages 13 – 18, who is keenly interested in poetry
Brookfield Poet Laureate Selection Panel
A seven to nine-member, Brookfield Poet Laureate Selection Panel (BPLSP) will include members of The Brookfield Library, the Brookfield Arts Commission, The Brookfield Theatre, The Brookfield Historical Society, poetry advocates, representative from the school and senior communities, and others. The Brookfield Library staff will help coordinate the application process and publicity and any outreach activities with the Poet Laureate. The BPLSP may meet with the Poet Laureate at the completion of the first year of service to determine if the duties are being carried out or to provide guidance.
Applications for the Brookfield Poet Laureate inaugural term which will run from June 2020 through March, 2023 will be accepted from April 15, 2020 through May 15, 2020. Please send your application, by email, hand-delivered, or by mail for the attention of the Brookfield Poet Laureate Selection Panel at firstname.lastname@example.org, Yvonne Cech, Brookfield Library, 182 Whisconier Road, Brookfield, CT 06804 no later than May 15, 2020.
Application should include:
- A cover letter that includes a little about yourself and your connection with poetry. This should also include a statement about what you would like to achieve during your tenure, especially any special project that you would like to undertake during that time.
- A poetry related resume or CV.
- A selection of 8 to 10 poems that you think best demonstrate the style and range of your poetry.
- Links to any online content that you would like us to consider.
Once the applications have been received the BPLSP will review the applications, gather any additional material needed, and make its decision based on the poet’s ability to fulfill the requirements of the position and to actively engage the Brookfield community in and around poetry. The recommendation of the panel will be sent via The Brookfield Library to the Town’s First Selectman for approval. The inaugural Brookfield Poet Laureate will be officially announced and a ceremony of induction will follow the announcement.
If you are interested in applying for the Poet Laureate Selection Panel, please visit this page.