Apply Online for a Library Card
Library cards expire every three years. Please report any change of address, email, or telephone number as soon as possible.
There are no limits to the number of items a person may borrow, except for new DVDs (owned less than 6 months), where the limit is 4 per family, DVDs owned more than 6 months, where the limit is 10 per borrower’s card, and children’s holiday books, where the limit is 3 per family.
Library materials may be renewed twice, in person, by telephone, or online. DVDs that check out for 1 week cannot be renewed.
When renewing by telephone please:
- Have your library card available;
- Call during the Library’s business hours;
- Do not leave a telephone message; renewals left on voicemail will not be processed.
Reasons why your renewal may not be successful:
- Another patron has requested the item.
- Item is so severely overdue that it is considered lost.
- Fines or lost item fees on your card exceed $20.00.
- The item has been borrowed for you from another library, and the lending library may not allow renewals.
FINES AND FEES
Effective September 19, 2022, we will no longer be charging fines for the majority of our materials.
You need to show your library card to check out materials. You can use your card at any public library in the State of Connecticut.
Borrowing is STOPPED when accumulated charges on your card amount to $20.00 and over.
Library materials may be returned at any time. To avoid fines, return all material on time. When the library is closed, you may return your items in the outside book drops.
You may also return your Brookfield items to any public library in Connecticut and may also return other Connecticut public libraries’ materials to Brookfield. We will send them back to the owning library.
If we do not own a particular item you need, we will try to borrow it for you from another library. Fill out an Interlibrary Loan Form or ask for assistance at the Information Desk. You may also call the Information Desk at 203-775-6241, extension 103.